Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When there's a lay-by at exactly the right moment...

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I took LEX to work yesterday. Car's driving really nice right now, and after replacing the battery on Monday, finally, she's starting much quicker now too. I recorded my mileage on to my spreadsheet last night. I'm now at 38,875.

...Probably another 10yrs or so away from where you're at now at my current rate! Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I have a (lifetime) ambition to get mine around the clock. Only 94,000 miles to go!
June '81 No. 1867
6000 miles from New?! Or a new clock?!

Mine was on 28,555 when I got it, remember it well.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
From memory, I started with about 26,000 something. So covered about 12,000 miles in nearly 14 years. Nearly 3 years of that time, the car was off the road leading up to, and moving through the early stages of Covid.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Best I can tell from its history, that's from new. Previous owner thought it was a real selling point, but I disagreed. Sitting causes more problems than mileage in my experience.
June '81 No. 1867
Definitely my car benefits from being driven. Same for all my cars. Cars hate sitting still, and parts like to be exercised and used to keep optimal. It's a pull in two directions for me. Trying to keep the mileage down for historical significance, but wanting to drive it and enjoy it too. Driving it isn't the problem right now. It's where to drive it and when? Naturally like most of us, I'm cautious about where i'm prepared to park it up and walk away. Then there's the impracticality of the thing for normal every day duties. I much prefer to get it out when I know i'm meeting up with others compared to using it by myself. I've only allowed myself 1000 miles a year on the insurance right now, so i'm always cautious of that too. It's not like I haven't or don't drive it, and sometimes good distance too. The amount of times i've driven the car a good lenghth of the country, like Edinburgh to Rugby or vice versa, all in one go. That's a good 325 miles in one day. Now the car lives in Rugby though, if/when I do that journey again, it'll be rarer and for holiday purposes rather than for needs sake to make the car more accessible over the summer for fixing up and for club events etc.

It was nice going to work on Wednesday, and the guys at work love to see it, and always very complimentary about it too. But simply put, i'm not insured for commuting, so it's always a risk when i do it. I do breathe a sigh of relief when i get her home again safe.

If only I could relax more about leaving the car parked amongst the general public in normal out and about activities, but i don't. The negative attention I get in the car, and have had in the car in the past stops me from trusting people. It only takes one to make a decision to damage the car or otherwise, irrespective of what anyone else is like. Ultimately, you're the bearer of the result of whatever anyone else chooses to do, and normally, that also hurts your wallet.

(off on a tangent again Chris! - sorry)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):