Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust crossover pipe removal
As per title. I've got the muffler and catalyst out. I've disconnected the crossover pipe from the two manifolds but can't seem to manoeuvre it out. Is there a special handshake to get this out, or do I need to remove a half shaft or something?
I believe from what others have said in the past, that the crossover pipe can’t be removed without cutting it in half (and many do). I’m sure I’ve heard an American guy on Facebook years ago saying he managed to get his out after dropping one of the driveshafts and doing some contortions with the pipe, but I’m not 100% sure. I got mine off in one piece, but only after I had pulled the engine and gearbox out complete together. Then it’s dead easy (sorry).
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
What he said! it's not to difficult to get an grinder in there.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Really? Chopping it is the removal procedure?

I'm not sure whether I'm going to replace the whole system or just do the gaskets and de-cat, so I'll have a go at removing the driver side shaft and see if that give me enough room.
June '81 No. 1867
I'm always relieved when I've removed the cross-over pipe.....all the stuff that gets unnecessarily hot...including fuel lines etc. I've always had to chop them to some extent, to get them out.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Got it out in one piece! Didn't even need to take the drive shaft completely out, just dropped it down on one side.
June '81 No. 1867
Fair enough, most are being removed to have a performance exhaust or similar fitted so are not needed. You may be going a different route so took a more sensible approach!  Smile
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well done. I didn’t have a proper opinion either way, just what people had said over the years. Like I said, I removed mine after pulling the gearbox and engine completely (not for the reason of removing the cross over). I guess now it’s a definite case that it can be removed in one piece since you’ve proved it. DeLorean pioneer Wink
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)