Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOC-UK 2023 meet up?
Exclamation 
Hi all,

as we've missed out on a Club meet this year, would we like to do something in 2023?

This year, we were invited back to Silverstone, but it was in late August, clashed with other
events and peoples holidays (including mine), and the upshot was, nothing got organised by
anybody.

In 2010, we had our first 'Lets Rotate the Club Event Round the Country' meet, in response to
many members, who whilst they enjoyed the yearly Norfolk based event, fancied a change of
scenery and also, for those 'oop north' or in the West, somewhere easier and closer to get to.

So, in 2010, we were based near Chirk on  the England/Wales border.  It was very well attended, 
including cars from Holland brought by Mart and Daisy (who were on honeymoon) and Welmoed
Jonker in his black car DeLorean.

We had a scenic drive up the Horseshoe Pass to the Ponderosa Cafe, and also took in a boat ride
on the Llangollen Canal.  Other local attractions included Chirk Castle and I think a local steam railway.

A few of us also ended up in a music video being filmed at a transport cafe at the petrol station near
the hotel.  Look up 'Rock off and Die' by Dangerous Dave on You Tube, and you'll see 4 DeLoreans at 
the end - mine was the fastest lol.

So, my question to you, the membership, is would a revisit to this area be of interest?  The Hotel, the
Lord Moreton was comfortable and reasonable, with a good carpark and attached restaurant.  
Website here:  https://www.moretonpark.co.uk/

I'm thinking September next year, probably around the weekend of 9-10th?  That way, school holidays
are over, and it should be quieter in the 'touristy' areas.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Sounds good to me, yes I'll hopefully be along unless anything crops up.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Happy to go along with this, BUT I still think another Lotus weekend would go down really well, staying at same hotel, blast around the track etc. BUT it may prove to be to exxpensive.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I agree Chris, I liked our trips to Lotus..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Here's a curve ball, how about Morgan at Malvern? They arrange factory tours. I went a few years ago, lovely scenery and great drives. No test track as such but a good venue.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I'm pretty easy going on venue. I'd just be appreciative of having a good place to take the car out for a proper drive and meet up with friends. It's always nice to visit new places and see things you've not already seen before. That's not to say I still wouldn't enjoy a revisit to any place we've been before. But it's a bit more exciting with a bit of "exploring" new places too.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)

This was a few from Morgan at Great Malvern; they test drive the newly built cars around the local roads.

https://www.visitthemalverns.org/things-...re-drives/

There are numerous hotels in and around including a Premier Inn with lots of free parking through to boutique B and Bs and fine Victorian establishments, lots of pubs znd restaurants in Great Malvern too.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
https://www.morgan-motor.com/experience-...ory-tours/
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
All sounds positive. I doubt I'd go as far as the first location in the DeLorean. It's partly trust in a car just built and partly there's a nats-chance-in-hell my back would make it Tongue
That said, I'd be happy just to see you lot!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Some great suggestions here, and yes, Lotus was very popular last time we went (2015?).
If it was Lotus again though, someone else would have to organise that side of things, as I
don't have the contacts. I would be happy to see if the same hotel (which was recently refurbished
after a fire), can accommodate us.
Also, Malvern sounds nice, and it would be somewhere different. Would need to find something in
addition to the Morgan factory though to make a weekend of it - does anyone in the Wiltshire area
know of any car/transport related stuff we could go to?
Anyway, great that there is so much interest in an event for 2023, so keep the ideas flowing!

Mind you, they dont look after their DeLorean History very well !

I could make a few enquires with Lotus (again).....have we got any definate dates in mind?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I think probably early/mid September, after the kids go back from summer hols would be
ideal, plus weather is usually still pretty decent then too.
Would need to combine it with another location too, I know we did Duxford last time,
but is there anything else in the area we could look at?
There is a decent motor Museum at Caister, near to great Yarmouth etc.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction...ia_En.html
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
For the Malvern/ Morgan option, I was going to suggest the Severn Valley Railway for the Sunday.

Appreciate there's less of a direct Delorean link, but thought it might be something a bit different.

Anyways, as you say Claire, good that there is enthusiasm for a trip away wherever it is!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(22 Nov 2022, 12:21)Chris P Wrote: There is a decent motor Museum at Caister, near to great Yarmouth etc.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction...ia_En.html

It must be 20+yrs since I last went there - my only 'concern' with somewhere like that,
especially if it was on the Sunday, is that it is about as far as you can get from anywhere
else in the UK. Maybe that would be a better option for the Saturday, with Lotus on the Sunday?

(22 Nov 2022, 12:52)Rich Hanlon Wrote: For the Malvern/ Morgan option, I was going to suggest the Severn Valley Railway for the Sunday.

Appreciate there's less of a direct Delorean link, but thought it might be something a bit different.

Anyways, as you say Claire, good that there is enthusiasm for a trip away wherever it is!

Absolutely Rich, its good to see some enthusiasm from the membership for a meet up next
year, and I like the idea of the Severn Valley Railway - we've had other meets in previous years
that have incorporated a heritage railway, and always been very popular, including the North
Yorkshire Moors Railway and the Midland Railway Centre in Derbyshire